We all admire people who have self confidence and probably wish we could be a bit more like them. After all confident people seem to be among the happiest people we know and they always seem to be able to achieve the goals they set themselves. In this article I want to share some deceptively simple but yet amazingly powerful tips on how to build your self confidence.
In general, confident people achieve more success and live life on their own terms.
What about You? Would you like some of that too? Do you believe that it is possible for you to develop more self confidence? I ask this question because it’s important for you to realise that we all have the capacity to improve our self confidence. The only thing that stands between you and the confident person you want to become is the knowledge of how to do it and the faith to believe that you can do it.
That problem is not going to be an issue for you any more because in this article I want to share with you my 10 favourite tips to help you learn How to build your self confidence and start living the life you dreamed of.
How To Build Self Confidence
- Get Some Exercise. Before you sigh too deeply or roll your eyes, I’m not suggesting you start training for the marathon or become a bodybuilder. However, taking some moderate exercise will improve your fitness and general health as well as leaving you feeling better about yourself. Completing a workout gives you a sense of achievement which helps you to feel more positive about the next challenge. While it’s nice to have a great physique and look like an athlete or movie star, if you can see your body shape becoming even slightly more toned then this can have a huge positive impact on your self confidence
- Tackle some negatives. Take some time to think about the things that irritate or annoy you in your life and write them all down. Once you’ve written them down, start thinking about what you can do to eliminate or lessen them. Then take action! Dealing with problems is a great boost to self confidence. Solving problems like this shows your subconscious mind that you are a person that is serious about overcoming things and reinforces the belief that you can be successful in whatever you choose to do.
- Give your ego a boost. Think about the things you are good at and write these down too. You might actually surprise yourself at how big your list might be. Rather than focus on things you struggle with, remind yourself regularly of the things you actually do well. This might be something you struggle with if you feel low in confidence but try to force yourself to be objective. Don’t compare yourself to others – just write down everything that another person would say you are good at.
- Be yourself. We all put on different faces to some extent in different situations but make sure it doesn’t get to the extent where you aren’t being true to the real you. Take pride in being the individual that you are and let other see what a great person you are too. Some people think that they can build confidence by trying to act confident. This is only a temporary solution. Instead just let the real you take center stage and develop that persona.
- Stop feeling inferior. If you regularly find yourself thinking that “I can’t do it” or “I can’t have it” or “I don’t deserve it” then you need to change your mindset now. When one of these thoughts enters your head, dismiss it and tell yourself the opposite instead. Get into the habit of challenging any negative self-talk.
- Relish a challenge. When faced with a challenge, instead of just shying away from it or avoiding it, make yourself face up to it. Consider what you can do to overcome problems such as research, trying alternative methods, or asking for help. You will be amazed at the boost your self confidence gets when you successfully overcome a challenge.
- Challenge self-doubt. Sometime thoughts of self-doubt are good to prevent you from getting into trouble but usually they are just negative thoughts that will hold you back from achieving the things you want. Next time you doubt your abilities ask yourself if the doubt is valid. Be honest with yourself. If its not then its time to dismiss the emotion and believe in yourself.
- Change your outlook on failures. It’s inevitable that you will fail from time to time and if you are low on self confidence then this can just make you feel even less confident. The trick is to stop focusing on the failure and instead ask yourself what you have learned from the failure and use it to make better decisions the next time. Keep reminding yourself that a failure is actually a learning opportunity. Every person who has achieved great success has experienced multiple failures along the way – and learned how to do things better as a result. The person who never experiences failure is a person who never achieves anything either!
- Take ownership of your problems. If you really want to know how to build self confidence then take note of this tip. I am always amazed at the lengths that people go to, to avoid taking responsibility for their circumstances. If you have problems to deal with then start looking for solutions to them today. Don’t wait for other people to sort them for you – do it yourself! Being brave and decisive in your actions will boost your confidence enormously.
- Trust yourself. Your life experiences to date will have given you the instincts you need to make decisions about what to do. Trust your instincts and when you need to make a choice – go for whatever your gut is telling you. Occasionally you might be wrong but more often you will be glad you trusted yourself and it breeds self confidence for future decisions.
So there you have it – 10 of my favourite tips on how to build self confidence.
If you found this helpful you might benefit even more from my book 10 Minute Power-Confidence. You can read more about it by clicking here: